Sunday, October 17, 2010

Project #1 , details

After numerous idea suggestions, my project finally hit the right road. The whole analog and digital theme really had me thinking about my airbrush. The airbrush in the digital field is basically the copy of the real analog airbrush only quite different in materials and techniques. The photoshop tool called the airbrush is what I am talking about as for digital. The analog version is the real airbrush medium which is what I practice the most. Now the point of this project will be to use both versions of the airbrush tool to produce one print of 20 by 29 inches.

The difficult task here is to combine both the digital and the analog airbrush together. Therefore I will use acetates to replicate the layers in a photoshop document. So first before I jump ahead of myself which I thinking I'm already doing, I will explain the process and idea. I used my pen tablet to draw (with the photoshop airbrush tool) a helmet design which actually was my first goalie helmet I airbrush. This drawing means a lot to me but not as for the character, but the helmet job itself because it really kick started a new and growing market for my airbrush paint jobs. Anyways so this drawing is the Goldorak character which origins from Japon in 1975. The process was the most interesting because they are quite similar but very different in the materials. The digital airbrush can be erased by a click of a button but not the real analog airbrush. The build up was almost identical (technique wise) because I was able to use the same techniques which was drawing the outline and doing color by color. The outcome is very different in the end when I compare the helmet to my print. The digital version still looks very computerized maybe because I am so used to seeing the real airbrush finish look prior to clear coat. Now with the acetates over the print, it gave it that layer of glossy film protectiveness. Very similar to the clear coat on the helmet. My next step was to airbrush these acetate layers to modify the colors and effect it gives over the print. One problem I had was making sure these acetates were not getting damaged in the process because any scratches or dirtiness would be visible in the end.

The outcome is very unique and thats what I love to do in my projects. I have to refer to David Spriggs work at Uqam this past month. It was composed of different layering of prints on acetates to give a 3D look and an awesome end result. Lighting is key in his work which I must try with mine tomorrow when I expose my work. I am looking forward to critique tomorrow to see what my classmates and teacher have to say about my work. I will take pictures and post!!! very soon!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment